Recipe Inspiration! My favorite part of Thanksgiving is the menu planning! I love to get creative with my ingredients, themes, twists on tradition and innovative recipes. It’s not hard to find Thanksgiving inspiration all around you this time of year: plump pumpkins, magenta cranberries, dusty fall leaves, apple butter, crisp air, barrels of fresh apple cider, steamy muffins, spiced holiday chai, lumpy bumpy squash varieties, shiny tangerines, cinnamon sticks, persimmons, nutty crumbly chestnuts, warm coats, squishy scarves and that mellow dusty blue sky. Fall is everywhere, go out and taste it. Then share it at your Thanksgiving Feast!
1. Kathy's 5 Ingredient Pumpkin Pie
vegan, makes 2 pies
8 ounces tofu cream cheese
30 ounces (about 3 3/4 cups) canned Pumpkin Pie Mix
1 1/4 cups soaked raw cashews (soaked overnight in salted water)
3 Tbsp lemon or orange juice (optional - adds a slight zippy undertone)
2 tsp cinnamon
2 graham cracker pie crusts
handful of cashews for decorative garnish
1. Soak your raw cashews in salted water overnight or at least 6 hours. They should break apart easily and be tender to bite when properly soaked.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Drain your nuts and set aside. Also set aside about 15-20 cashews or garnish.
4. In a food processor, add the cream cheese, pumpkin pie mix, cashews and lemon juice.
5. Blend on high until a creamy mixture is reached. Pulse in additional cinnamon.
6. Pour your puree into your two pie crusts.
7. Swirl and smooth top with fork. Dot on cashews around the edge and center as you'd like.
8. Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes. Cool. Place in fridge to firm before serving.
Serve "a la mode" with a scoop of Tempt Vanilla Vegan Frozen Dessert.
2. Perfect Butternut Squash Hemp Dip
vegan, makes 2 cup
1 15 oz. can organic butternut squash
4 heaping Tbsp garlic hummus
1/4 cup organic maple syrup
1 tsp dried organic orange peel (spice bottle)
3 Tbsp Tempt Hemp Milk (original flavor)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
5 large fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
optional: dash ofcayenne for a spicy accent, dash of cinnamon to turn up the 'warm' fall flavor
reserve: 1 sage leaf for garnish.
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Fold well.
2. Place mixture in microwave safe dish and heat on high for 90 seconds or until warm. (Oven Option: You can also heat this dip in an oven safe dish for 15 minutes, 300 degrees and serve warm).
Serve with crusty bread slices, veggie slices and grain crackers.
3. Easy Spiced Mocha Hemp Latte
vegan, makes 1 mug
3/4 mug filled with vanilla Tempt Hemp Milk
1 heaping spoonful cocoa mix (any vegan brand)
Coffee: 1 shot espresso or splash of deeply brewed coffee or Instant Coffee single-serve pack
dash of cayenne
swirl of soy or rice whip on top
vegan chocolate sprinkles
1. Add all ingredients to a sauce pot on stove top.
2. Heat over medium heat until light boil begins.
3. Pour into mug, swirl vegan whip on top. Add sprinkles.