Do you yearn to drink wine on a Venetian Gondola? Have you daydreamed about eating curry in Goa? Well, while travel can sometimes be hindered by lack of time or an empty bank account, it’s not impossible to experience the cuisine from places far and away. As you fill your piggy bank for your next exotic getaway, why not wet your appetite for global travel by whipping up some international dishes as an appetizer to your getaway?
Check out some easy ways you can bring the world to you with some signature ingredients from around the world that add flare to any meal.
1. Africa – cornmeal, sweet potato, cous cous,cinnamon, collard greens
2. The Caribbean – lime, plantains, scotch bonnet,seafood, citrus
3. Latin America – avocado, cilantro, quinoa,scallions, cumin
4. Greece – olives, olive oil, pita bread, garbanzobeans, lemon
5. Italy – tomatoes, pasta, basil, oregano, garlic
6. France – mushrooms, cream (dairy or non), crustybread, spinach, eggplant
7. India – garam masala, fenugreek, tamarind,turmeric, coriander
8. Japan – matcha, nori, miso, wasabi, daikon
9. China – tofu, bean sprouts, soy sauce, ginger,rice vinegar
10. Thailand– peanuts, coconut, mango, kaffir lime, lemongrass
Be sure to check out The Healthy Voyager's Global Kitchen Cookbook for international dish inspiration be you vegan, gluten free or just looking for healthier ways to dine!